The first thing to keep in mind before coming and during our stay in Kirishima is that, given its intense volcanic activity, as of April 2019 there are stretches of the main trails closed to hikers: Continue reading “BEST HIKING ROUTES IN KIRISHIMA NATIONAL PARK”
In 2008 I met the first person who had been in Iceland. Scandinavian countries were well known, with their capitals populated by low buildings painted in bright colors and their churches with towers ending in sharp peaks, Lapland plains full of snow and reindeer where Santa Claus lives and the imposing panoramas of Norwegian fjords, traveled by countless cruises in the summer months. But the country whose name means “the land of ice” was a complete stranger. Continue reading “Iceland”
- I was here: April the 17th in the afternoon and 18th in the morning, 2013.
- Recommended number of days: nowadays one full day. If at some point the volcanic activity decreases, then two.
- My score: 2/5.
This national park in Kyushu is located mainly to the northeast of Kagoshima Prefecture, although a part is in the neighboring Miyazaki Prefecture. It is actually a Continue reading “KIRISHIMA NATIONAL PARK”
Famous in the whole world since being one of the winners of the 7 Wonders of Nature contests in 2011, this river inside a cave, but with direct access to the sea, is a pleasant visit, although Continue reading “PUERTO PRINCESA UNDERGROUND RIVER AND OTHER ATTRACTIONS IN SABANG”
- We were here: a few hours on October 16, 2018.
- Recommended number of days: from 2.
- My score: 4/5.
Guilin Prefecture was the first place that Chinese government decided to promote as a tourist destination back in the middle of the 20th century. Soon Guilin City, its capital, Continue reading “YANGSHUO (阳朔)”
Few foreigners know where it is or what is in it, in fact almost nobody knows its existence; There is not a single organized trip that passes through here, this being the way how more foreign tourists visit the country. Unknown to the world and yet, this province is a treasure within China. Continue reading “Sichuan (四川)”
- We were here: 4 days in the middle of October 2018.
- Number of days required: minimum 3, but perfectly we could spend twice as much time.
- My score: 5/5.
Karst landscape never disappoints in terms of beauty: with impossible peaks, the shape of the mountains in this area is surreal. Continue reading “GUILIN, YANGSHUO ANG LONGJI”
- I was here: 4 days in June 2010.
- Recommended number of days: minimum 2.
- My score: 4/5.
They are not the Canadian Rockies, but we should not underestimate the charms of Spain‘s best high mountain national park; Continue reading “ORDESA AND MONTE PERDIDO NATIONAL PARK”
- I was here 5 days in June 2015, 7 in June 2016, 2 in June 2002, 3 times during 5 days during Easter when I was between 10 and 13 years and several times in summer when it was even younger.
- Number of days needed: the park is huge, to get a good idea of the best sites I recommend at least 5 days.
- My score: 4/5.
I feel respect to write about this natural park, because by its relative proximity to the place of residence, is my father’s favorite, perhaps his favorite place in the world, a nature lover who has been visiting it every two years for 40 years and that therefore knows its secrets, trails and corners much better than me: Continue reading “SIERRA DE CAZORLA, SEGURA Y LAS VILLAS NATURAL PARK”