Makati is certainly not the most attractive place in the country, although it may be the least unpleasant spot in Manila, and since it is very likely that at some point we will have to go through the city, we will have to do something during the hours or days we spend here. Continue reading “MAKATI: DANGERS, WHAT TO DO, WHERE TO SLEEP, EAT, PARTY AND GO SHOPPING”
- Al was here: April 22, 2010.
- Time needed for a visit: 1 day should be enough.
- My score: 2/5 if you have been to Las Vegas, 3/5 if not.
With a historic Portuguese colonial center, some of the most luxurious casinos on the globe and thousands of traditional and ugly Chinese houses, Macau is a very curious and barely graceful mix. Continue reading “MACAU”
I know this province very well, or should, because it is where I live. What better way to honor Andalusian day than to introduce one of the most interesting provinces of such an interesting country as Spain, where, in turn, there are not many who know what it offers apart from its coast: Continue reading “MALAGA PROVINCE”
- Al was here: 5 days in April 2010 and 2 days in March 2016.
- Number of days needed: between 2 and 3.
- My score: I’m rating it 4/5 because almost everyone I know say it’s a 3, but for some reason I do like it and I’d even rate it 5.
Visited by many as it is a frequent destination of aerial stopovers and appreciated by few, Hong Kong is the oldest of the modern Asian mega-cities. Continue reading “HONG KONG”
- We were here: October 17, 2018.
- Number of days needed: 2. We would gladly have stayed a second day having had more time.
- My score: 5/5.
It is not that this place is more or less beautiful than Guilin mountains, it is different but equally impressive; if I rate it a bit higher is because there are not as many rice terraces as karst mountains in China. This is simply a lovely site. Continue reading “LONGJI RICE TERRACES (龙脊梯田)”
Few foreigners know where it is or what is in it, in fact almost nobody knows its existence; There is not a single organized trip that passes through here, this being the way how more foreign tourists visit the country. Unknown to the world and yet, this province is a treasure within China. Continue reading “Sichuan (四川)”
- We were in Guilin for 2 days in the middle of October 2018.
- Recommended number of days: 1 or 2.
- My score: 3/5.
The first destination advertised for tourist by the government itself back in 1949 is, as the name suggests, a city in its entirety, with more than one million inhabitants. So much that most of the time we can not see the famous peaks that we have heard so much about, Continue reading “GUILIN (桂林) CITY”
- We were here: September 26, 2018.
- Recommended number of days: at least one full day, including overnight stay. Better if they are two.
- My score: I doubt between rating it 3 or 4/5.
Most visitors think Suzhou is a town with canals and gardens and not a full-blown city with almost 6 million inhabitants. The truth is that it is both, Continue reading “SUZHOU”
- We were here: 2 days at the beginning of October 2018.
- Number of days needed: 2. If you are going on a day trip to Mount Hua, then 3. If you are a fan of archeology, you probably need a week.
- My score: 3/5. No doubt it is a city worthy of a visit, but I am not sure if I would repeat it, and certainly not in the next few years, I explain below why.
- We were here: 2 days at the end of October 2018, plus another day for the Great Wall.
- Number of days needed for the city (without the wall): 3.
- My score: 3/5, but because of the wall 4/5.
The Great Wall of China is one of the most extraordinary constructions that man has made. Continue reading “BEIJING”