Ignored by the vast majority of international tourists, recognized by the Japanese, the largest island to the west of the country has enough attractions for us to consider an exclusive trip to the area. Its temples can not be compared at all to those in central Honshu, but its nature is described as poetic, original and sometimes sensational: Continue reading “Kyushu (九州)”
Makati is certainly not the most attractive place in the country, although it may be the least unpleasant spot in Manila, and since it is very likely that at some point we will have to go through the city, we will have to do something during the hours or days we spend here. Continue reading “MAKATI: DANGERS, WHAT TO DO, WHERE TO SLEEP, EAT, PARTY AND GO SHOPPING”
- Al was here: April 22, 2010.
- Time needed for a visit: 1 day should be enough.
- My score: 2/5 if you have been to Las Vegas, 3/5 if not.
With a historic Portuguese colonial center, some of the most luxurious casinos on the globe and thousands of traditional and ugly Chinese houses, Macau is a very curious and barely graceful mix. Continue reading “MACAU”
- Al was here: 5 days in April 2010 and 2 days in March 2016.
- Number of days needed: between 2 and 3.
- My score: I’m rating it 4/5 because almost everyone I know say it’s a 3, but for some reason I do like it and I’d even rate it 5.
Visited by many as it is a frequent destination of aerial stopovers and appreciated by few, Hong Kong is the oldest of the modern Asian mega-cities. Continue reading “HONG KONG”
- We were here: September 26, 2018.
- Recommended number of days: at least one full day, including overnight stay. Better if they are two.
- My score: I doubt between rating it 3 or 4/5.
Most visitors think Suzhou is a town with canals and gardens and not a full-blown city with almost 6 million inhabitants. The truth is that it is both, Continue reading “SUZHOU”
- We were here: 3 days at the end of September 2018.
- Number of days needed for a visit: at least 2.
- My score: 4/5.
My Chinese cousin Jiaping told me once, “I love living in Spain, but even better is that the day I want to return to my city, I’ll be returning nothing less than to Shanghai”. At that moment I could imagine what she was referring to, but now that I have seen it with my own eyes, I understand perfectly the reason of her satisfaction face. Continue reading “SHANGHAI”
- Al was here: 2 days by the end of November 2005 and 5 by the end of February 2012.
- Number of days needed: at least 2.
- My score: 5/5.
Mediterranean islands never disappoint, they are a sure bet. Corsica is not only as beautiful as the others, is possibly the most complete, and therefore, possibly the best; It has all kinds of attractions, mixing some of the best things in Spain, France and Italy: Continue reading “Corsica”
- I was there 3 days at the end of December 2005 and 3 more in March 2012.
- Recommended number of days: 2, plus one for the Great Ocean Road.
- My score: the city 4/5, but because of my friends Kym and Tam I rate it 5/5. If you knew them, you would also do it.
The first time I went to Melbourne I did not intend to spend so many days, but I was exhausted after a month without rest visiting the east coast, the Northern Territories and the desert, so I decided to take it easy, and discovered a so nice city, that the second time I saved time to spare to enjoy it again properly. Continue reading “MELBOURNE”