Ignored by the vast majority of international tourists, recognized by the Japanese, the largest island to the west of the country has enough attractions for us to consider an exclusive trip to the area. Its temples can not be compared at all to those in central Honshu, but its nature is described as poetic, original and sometimes sensational: Continue reading “Kyushu (九州)”
Makati is certainly not the most attractive place in the country, although it may be the least unpleasant spot in Manila, and since it is very likely that at some point we will have to go through the city, we will have to do something during the hours or days we spend here. Continue reading “MAKATI: DANGERS, WHAT TO DO, WHERE TO SLEEP, EAT, PARTY AND GO SHOPPING”
- We were in Guilin for 2 days in the middle of October 2018.
- Recommended number of days: 1 or 2.
- My score: 3/5.
The first destination advertised for tourist by the government itself back in 1949 is, as the name suggests, a city in its entirety, with more than one million inhabitants. So much that most of the time we can not see the famous peaks that we have heard so much about, Continue reading “GUILIN (桂林) CITY”
- We were here: September 26, 2018.
- Recommended number of days: at least one full day, including overnight stay. Better if they are two.
- My score: I doubt between rating it 3 or 4/5.
Most visitors think Suzhou is a town with canals and gardens and not a full-blown city with almost 6 million inhabitants. The truth is that it is both, Continue reading “SUZHOU”
- We were here: 2 days at the end of October 2018, plus another day for the Great Wall.
- Number of days needed for the city (without the wall): 3.
- My score: 3/5, but because of the wall 4/5.
The Great Wall of China is one of the most extraordinary constructions that man has made. Continue reading “BEIJING”
- We were here: 3 days at the end of September 2018.
- Number of days needed for a visit: at least 2.
- My score: 4/5.
My Chinese cousin Jiaping told me once, “I love living in Spain, but even better is that the day I want to return to my city, I’ll be returning nothing less than to Shanghai”. At that moment I could imagine what she was referring to, but now that I have seen it with my own eyes, I understand perfectly the reason of her satisfaction face. Continue reading “SHANGHAI”
- Al was here: 2 days by the end of November 2005 and 5 by the end of February 2012.
- Number of days needed: at least 2.
- My score: 5/5.
- I was here: from March 17 to April 17, 2011.
- Number of days needed: less than 15 is cheating.
- My score 4/5.
The oldest multiday hiking route (originated in the tenth century) and most popular in the old continent is the one that follows the different roads that lead from multiple points of Europe to Continue reading “(FRENCH) WAY OF SAINT JAMES”
- I was there 3 days at the end of December 2005 and 3 more in March 2012.
- Recommended number of days: 2, plus one for the Great Ocean Road.
- My score: the city 4/5, but because of my friends Kym and Tam I rate it 5/5. If you knew them, you would also do it.
The first time I went to Melbourne I did not intend to spend so many days, but I was exhausted after a month without rest visiting the east coast, the Northern Territories and the desert, so I decided to take it easy, and discovered a so nice city, that the second time I saved time to spare to enjoy it again properly. Continue reading “MELBOURNE”
- I was here: 3 days in October plus another in November 2008, and 3 days in May 2013.
- Recommended number of days: minimum 3, plus at least a day and a half more for the main day trips in case Kyoto is our base.
- My score: 5/5. Exceptional.
I have not visited all of Asia, but I dare to say that Kyoto is the most beautiful big city on the continent and one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Continue reading “KYOTO”