- We were here: October 3, 2018.
- Number of recommended days: 1 if we have seen other Chinese mountains, 2 otherwise.
- My score: 2/5, although this depends even more on if other mountains among the important ones in the country have been visited before, since at least one should be a mandatory stop (what would mean 3/5 or higher), regardless of whether we are countryside fans or not.
Most tourists visit Suzhou as a day trip from Shanghai. Continue reading “TRANSPORTATION IN SUZHOU: HOW TO GET THERE BY TRAIN OR BUS FROM SHANGHAI, NANJING, HANGZHOU AND OTHER CITIES”
- We were here: September 26, 2018.
- Recommended number of days: at least one full day, including overnight stay. Better if they are two.
- My score: I doubt between rating it 3 or 4/5.
Most visitors think Suzhou is a town with canals and gardens and not a full-blown city with almost 6 million inhabitants. The truth is that it is both, Continue reading “SUZHOU”
- We were here: 2 days at the beginning of October 2018.
- Number of days needed: 2. If you are going on a day trip to Mount Hua, then 3. If you are a fan of archeology, you probably need a week.
- My score: 3/5. No doubt it is a city worthy of a visit, but I am not sure if I would repeat it, and certainly not in the next few years, I explain below why.
For general information see the post TRAVEL BY TRAIN IN CHINA. Shanghai has several main train stations: Continue reading “SHANGHAI: GETTING THERE AND AWAY BY TRAIN, BUS AND BOAT”
- We were here: 2 days at the end of October 2018, plus another day for the Great Wall.
- Number of days needed for the city (without the wall): 3.
- My score: 3/5, but because of the wall 4/5.
The Great Wall of China is one of the most extraordinary constructions that man has made. Continue reading “BEIJING”
PUDONG INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (PVG)
It is by far the main airport in Shanghai, with more than 60 million travelers in 2015. It is located 30 km east of the city center. Continue reading “HOW TO GET TO SHANGHAI FROM THE AIRPORTS”
- We were here: 3 days at the end of September 2018.
- Number of days needed for a visit: at least 2.
- My score: 4/5.
My Chinese cousin Jiaping told me once, “I love living in Spain, but even better is that the day I want to return to my city, I’ll be returning nothing less than to Shanghai”. At that moment I could imagine what she was referring to, but now that I have seen it with my own eyes, I understand perfectly the reason of her satisfaction face. Continue reading “SHANGHAI”