I think my country is one of the most interesting ones in the world as far as tourism is concerned, and I do not think so because it is mine. Same as in Japan and Italy, despite not having a large extension, the number of sites worth visiting is immense, and it would take months to really know it. This is not unknown to the general public, as Spain is the third country with more international tourists in the world (more than 75 million in 2016) just behind France and the United States.
- The two main ones:
- Barcelona, the most visited city in the country, 12th in the world ranking of most visited cities in 2016, probably deserves that place. A city with all the tourist attractions essential to provide a pleasant experience to the traveler.
- Madrid, not as attractive as its rival, has the advantage of the best museums, being also the entry point for most travelers.
- But there are many other cities that deserve a visit: Seville for its global beauty; Granada for the Alhambra and Cordova for the Mosque, two of the best medieval Arab historical buildings; Toledo and Salamanca as examples of medieval European architecture; Valencia for its city of Arts and Sciences. And many other amazing cities and towns.
- The two main ones:
- One of the most mountainous countries in relation to its size (the second in the European Union after Greece), with excellent examples in the Pyrenees, Picos de Europa, Sierra Nevada or the volcanoes in Canary Islands.
- Beaches among the best of Europe in Galicia, Cádiz, Almería or the Canaries, and some considered among the best in the world in the Balearic Islands.
- Although these two landscapes are the most remarkable, in Spain we have a little of everything, from desert in Almería and Navarra, to Mediterranean forest in the Mediterranean, pine forest in many points of the country, and even rain forest in the mountains of Cádiz and in the Canary Islands.
- Gastronomy: no comment, there’s no country where you may eat better, there might be those where you eat same well, but not better. The Spanish cuisine is excellent in flavor and variety, and those travelers who enjoy this aspect will be widely satisfied.
- A country just as expensive, safe and easy to organize during a trip as the rest of the Western European countries.
- With an excellent climate all year round in the regions of the Mediterranean and the Canary Islands, but be aware, contrary to what is believed, in Spain is not always warm. The regions near Cantabric Sea are very rainy, and many areas of the central plateau have a climate in winter not much less cold than cities in Poland or Germany.
- And another myth that is not fulfilled and must be taken into account, not all Spaniards are friendly. Those of the south have a lot of talk and seem very open from the beginning, but deep down we are more reserved than the apparently correct and sometimes even cutting northeners. I have traveled much in the country, half of my family is from Castilla y León and half of Andalusia, I know what I say.
In short, an excellent country for a traveler, and in which, unless you spend two or three months, you will feel that you have things left to see. Happy Spanish Day.
CASTILLA LA MANCHA:
- ORDESA AND MONTE PERDIDO NATIONAL PARK
- SAINT SEBASTIAN
- SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA
- COSTA DU MORTE
CASTILLA Y LEÓN: