The fourth largest city in Germany. Almost all attractions are concentrated in the east side of the Rhine. For those who are not interested in museums, it can be visited in half a day, but we recommend to spend at least a full day.
Undoubtedly, the star of Cologne is its CATHEDRAL. It is the most visited monument in Germany, and is in the process of cleaning the facade. The gothic cathedral was begun in 1248 and completed in 1880. It is the best example of Gothic architecture in the country, but it will not impress too much to those who have visited other renowned Gothic cathedrals. Open from 6:00 a.m. to 19:30 in winter and until 21:00 in summer. Free entrance. You can climb the south tower for 4 €, 509 steps.
Hohenzollern Bridge. The visit to Cologne is not complete without the photo of the cathedral from the east side of the bridge.
Koln Triangle. It is an office tower on the east side of the river. You can climb to the roof glass for 3 € to enjoy the panoramic view of the city, especially the downtown area with the cathedral and bridge. Closed on Mondays.
Historical center. A stroll through the historic center is well worth it. Mainly it is located south of the cathedral. The highlight is Gross St Martin, a striking Romanesque church. Walk on the bank of the Rhine is one of the most beautiful areas of Cologne if the weather is good. If the visitor wants to appreciate it easier, there are plenty of cruises lasting from one hour to several days, from those offering a panoramic view of city, till those moving to other cities following the course of the Rhine.
Popular museums, all closed on Mondays:
- National Socialism Documentation Center. Admission € 4.5. About the story of the Gestapo in Cologne.
- Römisch-Germanisches Museum. Admission 9 €. Roman museum dedicated to the history of the city.
- Wallraf-Richartz Museum. Admission 8 €. Medieval art and paintings.
- Chocolate museum. Admission 9 €. The outer architecture is very original. It’s hard not end up buying something in the gift shop.
- Ludwig Museum. Admission 14 €. Dedicated to contemporary art. It houses works by Picasso, Dali, Warhol and Kandinsky.