Romania has a very bad reputation and is totally unjustified; It is a much safer country than people think. Continue reading “BUCHAREST: DANGERS AND ANNOYANCES”
- I was here: 3 days in October plus another in November 2008, and 3 days in May 2013.
- Recommended number of days: minimum 3, plus at least a day and a half more for the main day trips in case Kyoto is our base.
- My score: 5/5. Exceptional.
I have not visited all of Asia, but I dare to say that Kyoto is the most beautiful big city on the continent and one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Continue reading “KYOTO”
This is my face on more than one occasion in terms of modern / contemporary art. It’s true that I do not know how to appreciate it (so I hope my criticisms do not offend any scholar in the subject) as I am not even by far an expert in classical art, but I do realize what I like when I see it, whether because I find it aesthetic, original or hardworked. My first criterion is that when something is good most people like it, may they understand what they are observing or not. Continue reading “MUSEUM OF MODERN ART (MoMA) AND GUGGENHEIM MUSEUM IN NEW YORK CITY”
- We were here: two days in mid-October 2008.
- Recommended number of days: at least 2. I would have stayed one more day.
- My score: 3/5, but if I lived in Japan, I would certainly repeat it frequently.
Just 60 km east of the traditional Takayama, and with dozens of routes varying in length and difficulty, from simple flat walks along the river bank, to multi-day treks that Continue reading “JAPANESE ALPS: KAMIKOCHI”
Nothing bombastic or ostentatious as it might seem by its name, this museum is named for the aircraft carrier in which it is located since 1974. Continue reading “INTREPID SEA, AIR AND SPACE MUSEUM IN NEW YORK CITY”
Although we usually refer to the main building, it is a set of 3 museums, the first being one of the most popular in the city and one of the most important in the world. Continue reading “METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART (MET) AND CLOISTERS, NEW YORK CITY”
- I was here: 2 days in February 2011.
- Recommended number of days: 2.
- My score: 4/5.
Before going to Las Vegas, many people used to ask me “why are you going? There are only casinos there”. When I returned, those same people continued saying “why have you gone? There are only casinos there”. Obviously, these people had not ever been in Las Vegas, Continue reading “LAS VEGAS”