- I was here: August 2017.
- Number of days: 3.
- Number of days recommended: I think 2 is enough, unless one wants to see each park and eat in each restaurant.
- My score: the city 2/5, its parks 4/5.
Sydney, Melbourne, Toronto… if suddenly you appeared in one of their avenues in the city center it would take you a while to know where you are. Vancouver is another of those cities, and as these, it has created itself very good fame:
- With huge green areas, which are actually pieces of modified forest, to highlight Stanley, Pacific Spirit, Lynn Canyon or Capilano River parks.
- Access to the sea and ferries from which to contemplate it.
- Although its skyline is less than attractive, since the seventies and eighties skyscrapers that it choosed are not very graceful.
- And former marginal neighborhoods that are now the latest fad: the elite Gastown, the university style Yaletown and the ragged Granville.
But personally, it will be because I visited it after the three cities mentioned above, it did not tell me much, it seemed to me that it lacked identity even considering that almost nobody can boast of having sequoias and other similar trees in their parks.
Yes, it is true that it is very likely that, as the surveys of the prestigious magazine Mercer says, is the city with the best quality of life in Canada (the 5th in the world in 2017 after Vienna, Zurich, Auckland and Munich), because it has all the luxuries and comforts of its other big cities with a more peaceful climate. Many are those who ignore that in Vancouver in summer they reach or exceed 25ºC almost daily or that in winter the temperature does not drop below 0ºC; on the other hand, most of them do not know that, summer aside, it rains every other day, which makes it one of the rainiest places in the country, which does not invite you to take a walk in the best places, its green areas; that’s why there are so many restaurants … and that defines the lifestyle of Vancouverites:
- go for a walk when it does not rain.
- Go take something when it does.
It is not a bad philosophy at all.
WHAT TO SEE
- ONE-DAY ITINERARY IN CENTRAL VANCOUVER
- THE DISTRICTS ON FASHION: GASTOWN, GRANDVILLE AND YALETOWN
- THE BEST PARKS:
- STANLEY PARK
- LYNN CANYON
- PACIFIC SPIRIT
- WHEN TO GO
- HOW TO GET THERE
- GETTING AROUND
- WHERE TO EAT AND STAY
- DANGERS AND ANNOYANCES