For those museums lovers, or those who have time enough to explore Frankfurt, in this city there are plenty of them. My two times in Frankfurt were during a less than 8 hours stopover, so the truth is I have not been to any of them. On my next visit I’m decided to go to the Botanical Garden.
They are very expensive, but there is a discount pass, the Museumsufer ticket. It costs 18 € and allows to enter 34 museums in Frankfurt and the surrounding area for 48 hours (just the admission of the Städel and is 14 €). With the pass you can enter in all of those listed here. You can also purchase the Frankfurt Card for € 9.90 for 24 hours, giving 50% discount on all museums that are listed in the post plus the Palm Garden, and includes free public transport.
All of them are closed on Mondays, but the Natural History Museum, which opens daily.
- Many of them are gathered in the south bank of the Main river in what has been called the Museum Embankment (Museumsufer). I do have visited this riverbank and I can say that regardless of visit any museums or not, it is a very nice area for a stroll. The main ones are:
- Art Museum (Städel Museum). Includes classical and contemporary art. Open from 10 am to 6 pm (until 8pm Thursday and Friday), admission 14 €. It has paintings by artists such as Rembrandt, Botticelli, Monet and Picasso.
- Liebieghaus. Open from 10 to 18 h (Thursdays until 20pm), admission 10 €. Sculptures from different periods.
- Film Museum. Open from 10 to 18h (Wednesday until 20pm), admission 6 € (only to the permanent collection). For very movie geeks.
- Museum of Modern Art (MMK). In the city center. Open from 10 to 18h (Wednesday until 20pm). There are three areas that can be paid separately. Admission for the 3 of them costs 12 €.
- Museum of Natural History (Senckenberg). Northwest of downtown. Open from 9 am. Admission 9 €.
BOTANIC GARDEN AND PALM GARDEN (BOTANISCHER and PALMENGARTEN)
Northwest, close to Senckenberg Museum. The botanical garden is free, but it’s only open in the summer months. The palm garden is open daily since most plants are in greenhouses, from 9 to 16h in winter and to 18 pm in summer. Admission 7 €. Together they make up a massive botanical garden, whose extension is almost 2/3 of the historical center and seems to be very interesting.