- Al was here: in November-December 2008.
- Number of days: 2 and a half, and 9 nights.
- My rating: 5/5.
The Belgian city that I love the most, since it served as my base. Whether it is the most beautiful in the country or Bruges is, there is no discussion about it: it does not matter, because you have to go both. Not seeing one or the other thinking that they may be more of the same is a mistake; both are fascinating, and do not look as much as one might think:
- The main canal in Ghent is in my opinion the most beautiful and grandiose in Belgium and one of the best in Europe. Its spaciousness allows a magnificent image of the buildings and their reflection.
- The gothic towers, so popular in this country, are as imposing as those of its neighbor, but here they are made of stone, a material that provides grandeur and majesty at the same time.
- The very well preserved medieval castle, in the heart of the historic center, is an extra that is lacking in other neighboring cities.
- Ghent festival is probably the biggest and most important in Europe: 10 days at the end of July in which the whole city center is pedestrianized and offers street art and shows, mainly music, highlighting electronics, Latin and jazz. The city is full of people tasting food and beer while enjoying the artists. On the last day there is also a parade.
And of course, there are also, as in other Belgian cities: beautiful triangular facades, cobbled pavements, churches everywhere, breweries, chocolate shops, French fries, more breweries, more chocolateries, creperies, more fries, beer and chocolate everywhere … I should visit the old friends again.
WHAT TO SEE
- ONE DAY ITINERARY
- THE CASTLE