- Al was here: in February 2012.
- Number of days: 15.
- My Rating: 4/5.
By far (almost 4 million tourists a year) Indonesia’s most famous tourist destination. On the map may seem small next to Borneo, Java and Sumatra, but its size is slightly larger than all the Balearic Islands combined. Still, it is not a large area considering it’s world renowned. The key to Bali’s success is, in my opinion, that is a kind of miniature Southeast Asia:
- Although lacking the well-known karst landscape of Thailand or Philippines, with its beautiful beaches and dramatic cliffs decorated with small temples, the coast of Bali remains no one indifferent. Sunbathers, divers or surfers have here a must destination.
- Rice fields are not as famous as those in China or Vietnam, but they are certainly gorgeous and well worth a visit.
- You can not call the Monkey Forest a jungle, considering its small size, but it is a beautiful sample of tropical nature, and away from the tourist areas there are still nice places for hiking.
- Volcanoes are not those of neighboring Java, but also worth the picture.
- Temples, no large ones as in Cambodia or Myanmar, but the enclave of some of them is unbeatable.
- Do not expect to find a modern South East Asia city like Singapore, or less glamorous Jakarta or Manila. Thank God, the south of the island is touristic enough, we don’t want skyscrapers to grow here… But the leissure possibilities are excellent. The whole island is geared to tourism, and although Indonesia is still developing, Bali is one step ahead. In cities like Kuta or Ubud tourists can go every day to a restaurant with a kind of food from a different country, and half price than here in the west or in Australia.
- Another good thing about Bali is that it has not completely sold its soul to elite tourism like Maldives or Bora Bora; here everyone is welcome, from all inclusive 5-star resorts to small hospices for backpackers.
- And, as always in Southeast Asia, I take my hat off to how friendly people are.
So again, Bali’s success I think it is due to how complete it is. You may not find a Halong Bay or Marina Bay Sands, but overall, this island can offer the traveler an extraordinary vacation. Those who enjoy beaches, culture, leisure and gastronomy, will probably enjoy this island much more than other entire countries. And above all, for those who do not have time to visit much of Southeast Asia, Bali is my first recommendation.
THINGS TO SEE
- BEST BEACHES IN BALI
- BEST TEMPLES IN BALI
- THE MONKEY FOREST
- TEGALLALANG, JATILUWIH AND OTHER RICE TERRACES
- SEE OR CLIMB BALI VOLCANOES: BATUR AND AGUNG
- BOTANIC GARDEN AND BALI TREE TOP ADVENTURE PARK
- ROYAL PALACES IN BALI
- NUSA LEMBONGAN
- WHEN TO GO, MONEY, CHOOSE YOUR BASE CITY
- PROBLEMS AND ANNOYANCES
∇ Destinations / ∇ Indonesia