- I was here: March 2017.
- Number of days: one and a half.
- My rating: 3/5. For those who have not seen karst landscapes before: 4/5.
The worst and best of Viñales go together:
- As in so many places in Cuba, you’ll hate not having WiFi… to send photos and make your friends envious.
- This region has changed overnight, from being a small town that lived from the cultivation of tobacco to one of the main tourist destinations of the country… because it is not only a place of great beauty, but is completely different from the rest of the island. Unfortunately, those who think that still arrive in time to enjoy a virgin paradise, as it happened to us, you are late; today, the 300 private homes (casas particulares) and 2 travel agencies are always crowded, in the place that has become the main destination of the west. Transtur and Transgaviota drive more than 10 coaches daily on day trips from Havana. Still, if there is a place in Cuba where you have to go now, that is this one, it seems that it will change a lot in a very short time, and predictably it’ll become worse.
- There are mosquitoes, and bugs… and horses, because you are in an area that perfectly combines nature and rural, and this makes Viñales an absolute gem.
WHAT TO DO